50 Time Management Interview Questionsposted by Anna Mar, January 19, 2013
Time is an inescapable dimension of business.
Time management questions are an inescapable part of any interview.
No business can survive for long at a turtle's pace. No employee can thrive for long without some degree of work-life balance.
How you manage time says a great deal about you as a professional. Time management skills are in high demand. No business wants to hire someone who's always behind schedule.
The following interview questions cover personal, team and project time management skills. They rank amongst the most common interview questions.
Personal Time Management1. How do you plan your work?
2. Can you tell me about a time you were late to complete a task?
3. How do you track the progress of your tasks?
4. How do you schedule your work?
5. How do you prioritize your work?
6. Can you tell me about a time your boss gave you too much work? How did you handle the situation?
7. What do you do when you know a task will be late?
8. What's the most complex schedule you've developed?
9. Why do some professionals struggle to complete their tasks on time?
10. Are you a perfectionist?
11. Can you tell me about a time a coworker interfered with your work by chatting too much? How did you handle the situation?
12. How would you manage a coworker who asks so many questions that you can't get your own work done?
13. How do you balance work with your personal life?
Team Time Management14. How do you assign work to your team?
15. How do you ensure that everyone on your team has enough work?
16. How do you avoid overloading someone with too much work?
17. How do you ensure that task completion estimates are accurate?
18. How do you schedule for your team?
19. Why do some managers struggle to stick to a schedule?
20. How do you ensure that your team are committed to your schedule?
21. How do you track task status?
22. How do you manage team members who are always missing deadlines?
23. How do you bill for your team's time? How do you validate that time billings are accurate?
24. How do you know who is working too hard and who could take on more responsibilities?
25. How do you set goals for your team?
26. How do you align your schedule with your strategy?
27. Do you use any metrics to monitor productivity?
28. What do you do when your team is hopelessly off schedule?
29. How do you ensure that task priorities align with your team's commitments?
30. How do you improve your team's efficiency?
31. How do you identify tasks that are a waste of time?
32. How do you manage team members who are perfectionists?
33. How do you manage team members who sacrifice quality to meet deadlines?
34. Can you give me an example of a time you cleared roadblocks for your team?
35. What can you do as a manager to expedite your team's projects and initiatives?
36. When do you need to escalate schedule problems?
37. How do you create a sense of urgency for important tasks?
Project Time Management38. How do you estimate project tasks?
39. How do you validate your team's estimates?
40. Why should project managers avoid providing estimates?
41. What is the key to ensuring your work breakdown structure is accurate?
42. How do you manage underperforming project team members?
43. How do you manage unreasonable stakeholder demands?
44. How do you track task status?
45. How often do you hold status meetings?
46. When do you need to re-baseline a project?
47. How do you communicate schedule issues?
48. Can you tell me about a time your project was late?
49. Can you tell me about a time you found a more efficient method that reduced task completion times?
50. What is Pareto analysis (80/20 rule)? Why is it useful for project management?
This post is part of the ongoing series how to win your next job.
Interview Questions |
If you're looking for professional interview questions you've come to the right place. Our collection of behavioral and situational interview questions includes thousands of the most commonly asked questions.
Managing your project management career.|
The timeless classics that reveal everything about the candidate.|
If you're looking for a big list of skills broken down by profession and skill for your resume, you've come to the right place.|
Think your job can't be automated — think again.|