45 Emotional Intelligence Interview Questionsposted by Anna Mar, February 10, 2013
Humans aren't logic processing robots. That's a good thing.
Employers are starting to wake up to the importance of Emotional Intelligence (EI). They're also starting to ask EI focused questions in job interviews.
Some employers are looking for assertive, highly social staff. Others are looking for staff who can focus and complete tasks without having to socialize every decision.
Emotion Intelligence is a dynamic set of skills. There's no ideal profile. The EI skills required for one job may actually be a disadvantage in another job.
The following interview questions cover the wide range of Emotional Intelligence skills that employers seek.
Perceiving & Using Emotions1. Are you good at reading people?
2. Are you charismatic? Can you give me an example?
3. Can you tell me about a time you made a gut decision?
4. How do you socially engage people who seem shy or distant?
5. Why is eye contact important?
6. Why is humor important?
7. Can you tell me about a time you used humor to achieve a business result?
8. Can you tell me about a time you had difficulty collaborating with someone?
9. What is the key to motivating your team?
10. You have an important meeting with your boss. You need to sell him/her an important idea. However, he/she seems to be in a bad mood. How do you handle situation?
11. How do you recover from a bad first impression?
12. How do you help a coworker who seems stressed out?
13. Can you tell me about a time you facilitated the resolution of a conflict?
14. Why is body language important?
15. Can you give me an example of how body language can be used to communicate when you're giving a speech or presentation?
16. Why do people resist change? Are you open to change?
17. What's the most difficult professional criticism you've received? How did you handle it?
18. How do you soften criticism?
19. Can you tell me about the last time you criticized someone at work?
20. Do people trust you? Why / why not?
21. What techniques have you used to establish trust?
22. What was the last time you inspired someone? How did you do it?
23. Do most people like you? Why / why not?
24. Is it possible to please everyone all the time? Why / why not?
25. What steps do you take to build rapport with your coworkers?
26. Do you have a strong sense of curiosity? If so, can you give me an example?
27. How long can you focus on a task?
28. Can you give me an example of a time you focused to achieve a result?
29. Do you spend a lot of time thinking about work?
30. How do you come up with creative ideas?
31. Are you optimistic in your work? Can you give me an example?
32. What's the difference between optimism and wishful thinking?
33. Can you tell me about a time you collaborated with a difficult person?
34. Are you assertive? If so, can you give me an example?
35. Do you have an open mind? If so, can you give me an example?
Managing Emotions36. What are your hot buttons (situations that trigger your emotions)?
37. Can you tell me about a time you got angry at work?
38. Why do people tend to get emotional in negotiations? How do you control your emotions?
39. Let's say you have a coworker who seems to trigger negative emotions in you every day. What steps would you take to manage the situation?
40. What gets on your nerves?
41. How long can you take a stressful situation? Can you give me an example?
42. How do you bounce back from failure?
43. Do you have self-discipline? Can you give me an example?
44. Have you lost control of your emotions in a professional situation? If so, what did you learn from the experience?
45. Can you tell me about the most difficult boss you've had? How did you manage the situation?
Interview Questions |
If you're looking for professional interview questions you've come to the right place. Our collection of behavioral and situational interview questions includes thousands of the most commonly asked questions.
If you're looking for professional interview questions you've come to the right place. Our collection of behavioral and situational interview questions includes thousands of the most commonly asked questions.|
Great leaders don't grow on trees.|
Humans aren't logic processing robots. That's a good thing. Employers are starting to wake up to the importance of Emotional Intelligence |
How do you find a great CIO?|