106 Marketing Interview Questionsposted by Anna Mar, March 09, 2013
Marketing professionals are expected to be able to sell themselves.
Employers look for marketing professionals who have proven they can connect with customers, sell products and build brand value.
If you're an experienced marketing professional you probably have these abilities. You'll want to make your interview compelling by relating your answers back to your career successes.
If you're new to marketing you'll want to show that you have a realistic grasp of what it takes to sell into a competitive market and build brand value. More than anything you'll want to show that you're results-focused, capable and diligent.
Drilling interview questions is key to perfecting your message. Make a habit of answering questions with engaging stories that illustrate your abilities. It's not about memorizing definitions and regurgitating them.
The following interview questions touch on each of the skills commonly expected of marketing professionals.
1. What research do you do before developing a marketing strategy?
2. Can you tell me about a marketing plan that you've developed? How did you measure it?
3. What information do you include in a marketing plan?
4. Why do brand strategies fail (common pitfalls)?
5. How do you conduct market research? Why is it important?
6. Can you tell me about a product that you've developed? What challenges did you face? Was it a commercial success?
7. What is a promotional mix?
8. If I asked you to create a strong brand from scratch, how would you do it?
9. If I asked you to defend a strong brand in a highly competitive market, how would you do it?
10. What is your favorite of our products? Why? What could we do to improve it?
Brand Management11. Have you named a brand? How did you come up with the name? What makes a brand name effective?
12. What contribution to a brand are you most proud of?
13. What have you done in your current role to improve sales?
14. What have you done in your current role to build the image of your brands?
15. How do you get from brand awareness to brand loyalty?
16. Are you familiar with our brands? Which is your favorite? If I asked you to improve it's value, how would you do it?
Marketing Strategy & Planning17. What information goes into a marketing plan?
18. Can you tell me about a brand strategy that you've developed?
19. What metrics have you used to measure a brand?
20. How does a leader's strategy typically differ from a challenger's strategy?
21. What strategies have you used to defend a leading brand from competition?
22. What strategies have you used to bring a new product to market?
23. When does product diversification make sense for a brand?
24. What's your definition of an effective service strategy?
25. What information do you include in a retail strategy?
26. What objectives (goals) would you use to choose a location for a movie theatre?
27. What is cost leadership? Why is it important? How do you establish it?
28. Can you explain horizontal and vertical integration to me?
29. What are the components of marketing mix?
Price Strategy30. Can you give me an example of how psychology plays into price strategy?
31. When does it make sense to match a competitor's price?
32. How do you discourage competitors from cutting prices?
33. Is it important that customers think a price is fair? Why / why not?
34. How can price improve product visibility?
35. Can you tell me about the last time you priced a new product? How did you arrive at a price model?
Market Research36. What is marketing intelligence management? Why is it important?
37. What market trends are you keeping an eye on?
38. Why is it important to understand your existing customers? How do you achieve this?
39. If I asked you to come up with a competitor analysis for our firm what steps would you take?
40. How do you model consumer choices?
41. In your current role how do you test your strategy before committing to it?
42. What is test marketing?
43. How can test marketing reduce costs?
44. How do you test a marketing mix?
45. How would you audit a brand?
46. What is benchmarking and why is it important?
47. Have you developed prototypes of new products? How did you control the cost of the prototype?
48. What impact has big data had on our industry?
49. How do you assess a new market? How do you measure a new market?
Business & Product Development50. What risks do you keep an eye on when you develop a new product?
51. How do you choose a target market for a new product?
52. What comes first your target market or your new product?
53. Can you give me an example of a business model that you've developed?
54. What's the most challenging new product development initiative you've contributed to? How did it work out?
55. Can you describe the end-to-end process of developing a new product?
56. Why are new products rejected by customers? How can this be prevented?
57. How would you use a SWOT analysis when developing a new product?
58. What is product quality? How is it measured? Why is it important?
59. What percentage of new products fail?
60. Can you tell me about a product that you helped develop that failed on the market?
61. How do you develop new brands?
62. How do you assess the technical feasibility of concept products?
63. How do you model new product investment decisions?
64. Have you launched new products? How did you do it? How did you measure it?
65. Why do new products fail?
Promotion66. What are the goals of promotion?
67. What was the least successful promotional campaign you've run?
68. What information do you include in a promotion plan (campaign plan)?
69. What promotion campaign are you most proud of?
70. Can you give me an example of a company with an excellent corporate image? How did they get it?
71. What have you done in your current role to enhance the image of your firm?
72. How do you measure advertising results? What channel is most difficult to measure?
73. What strategies have you employed to maximize results from your advertising spend?
74. Are you a good negotiator? What strategies have you used to negotiate prices for advertising?
75. How do you prevent bad publicity?
76. If an event generated bad publicity for our firm, how would you manage it?
77. Do you have experience managing promotional events?
78. What are targeted communications? Have you used them? Can you give me an example?
79. Have you managed a rewards or loyalty program? How did it improve sales?
Brand Management80. In your current role, have you managed a portfolio of brands? If so, what challenges did you face?
81. How do you engage customers?
82. Is it possible to calculate the value of a brand? How?
83. How do you sustain a strong brand?
84. What is the most cost effective way to promote brand awareness?
85. Why do customers become brand advocates? How do you encourage this?
86. Why do some brands lose value with time?
87. How would you help us improve the value of our brands?
88. What is our weakest brand?
89. How would you improve our weakest brand?
90. What is our most valuable brand? Why is it valuable?
91. What brands have you managed? How did you build their value?
92. What metrics can be used to measure a brand?
Marketing Operations & Sales93. What is a product life cycle?
94. Have you worked closely with sales teams?
95. What does sales need from marketing? What does marketing need from sales?
96. Why are sales collaterals important?
97. How can we maximize lifetime customer value?
98. What techniques does sales use to manage customer relationships?
99. What is customer experience? Can you give me an example of a customer experience that you've developed?
100. What brand or company has an excellent customer experience?
Marketing Approaches101. When is niche marketing an effective approach?
102. Can you give me example of guerrilla marketing? Is it effective? Why / why not?
103. When is social media marketing effective?
104. Why do so many firms get social media marketing wrong?
105. What is the difference between content marketing and social media marketing?
106. If you had only $1000 to promote the opening of a new hotel, how would you do it?
107. How will marketing be different 5 years from now?
Interview Questions |
If you're looking for professional interview questions you've come to the right place. Our collection of behavioral and situational interview questions includes thousands of the most commonly asked questions.
Examples of how to answer tough interview questions.|
Most interview questions deserve a candid and direct answer but not these 3 questions ...|
Managing your project management career.|
The timeless classics that reveal everything about the candidate.|