104 ITIL Interview Questionsposted by Anna Mar, January 11, 2013
A solid understanding of ITIL can be important for virtually everyone in your IT organization including the CIO, IT directors and managers, architects, project managers and support staff.
The following sample ITIL interview questions vary in difficulty and can be used to interview anyone from your CIO to your help desk staff.
1. What is ITIL?
2. What is IT Service Management (ITSM)?
3. What are the main differences between ITSM and ITIL?
4. Are you ITIL certified?
5. Is it possible for an organization to be ITIL certified? How?
6. What is ISO 20000? How does it relate to ITIL?
7. What is an IT service?
8. What does service management excellence mean to you?
9. What is the business value of ITIL?
10. What are the benefits of ITIL? Are there any drawbacks to using ITIL?
11. Why has ITIL become such a popular framework?
12. What are the stages of the ITIL lifecycle?
13. What is the most current version of ITIL?
14. How does ITIL help to reduce costs and minimize total cost of ownership (TCO) for IT investments?
15. Is it possible to calculate a return on investment for ITIL? How?
16. Does ITIL improve time to market for new IT services? How?
17. Does ITIL reduce IT risks? How?
18. What challenges might an organization have to implement ITIL processes?
19. What tools are required to implement ITIL?
20. What are the objectives of a Service Culture? How does ITIL improve customer service?
21. Does ITIL have any weaknesses? What are they?
22. What is the relationship between ITIL and Enterprise Architecture?
ITIL Service Strategy23. What is a market-driven approach to service strategy?
24. What are the benefits of a market-driven approach to service strategy?
25. What is a service value definition? What information does it contain?
26. What ITIL processes are related to service strategy?
27. What is a service portfolio? How is it used?
28. How does ITIL help organizations to understand the costs of IT services?
29. What is demand management?
30. What is differential charging?
31. What information would you use to build a demand management strategy?
32. What is the relationship between IT strategy planning and ITIL?
33. How does ITIL make IT finances more transparent?
34. How does ITIL help to cut IT costs?
35. Is the most effective price for IT infrastructure the cheapest price? Why / why not?
36. What KPIs can be used to measure the costs associated with IT services?
Service Design37. How do you ensure that the design of a service meets the needs of the customer?
38. How do you ensure that the design of a service is cost effective?
39. How do you ensure that the design of a service fits into the larger technology environment?
40. What information is captured in a service design package (SDP)?
41. What's a RACI? What information is captured in a RACI?
42. What's the difference between a service catalog and a service portfolio?
43. What information should an SLA contain?
44. Can you give me an example of some metrics that are commonly included in an SLA?
45. What is MTTR? How many minutes is a typical MTTR?
46. How does service level management relate to availability and capacity management?
47. How does service level management relate to incident and problem management?
48. How does service level management relate to the financial management of IT services?
49. Can you give me some real world examples of SLA violations?
50. What are the responsibilities / accountabilities of the service-level manager?
51. What's the value of having a service-level manager?
52. What's the trade-off between availability and cost? How is this trade-off balanced?
53. What's an availability plan?
54. What's the difference between service maintainability and serviceability?
55. What's the relationship between security and service availability?
56. What resources are managed by capacity management?
57. How does IT Service Continuity Management (ITSCM) related to Business Continuity Planning (BCP)?
58. What are the basic steps in the IT service continuity management (ITSCM) process?
59. Is IT Service Continuity Management (ITSCM) reactive or proactive?
60. Can you give me an example of proactive ITSCM?
61. What information is captured in an ITSCM risk assessment?
62. What is information security?
63. Can you give me an example of a information security risk?
64. What is the difference between a information security threat and vulnerability?
65. What is ISO 27002?
66. What does safety of information mean?
67. What activities are conducted as part of the security management process?
ITIL Service Transition68. What are the goals of change management?
69. Is there a trade off between cost of a change and risk?
70. What are Service Acceptance Criteria (SAC)?
71. What are some reasons a service might be rejected by an IT service provider?
72. What are the best practices for configuration management?
73. What is a configuration baseline? How is it used?
74. What is a Definitive Media Library (DML)? What does it contain?
75. What's a CMDB?
76. What's a federated CMDB?
77. What type of information is stored in a CMDB?
78. What's a configuration item (CI)?
79. What's the difference between configuration management and release management?
80. Why is it important to manage customer expectations as part of the release management process?
81. What is a release? What are the different categories of releases?
82. What is the purpose of a Post Implementation Review (PIR)? What information is captured in a PIR?
83. What is a Service Knowledge Management System (SKMS)?
ITIL Service Operation84. What's the difference between end-users and customers?
85. What's a service desk?
86. How can a service desk ensure excellent customer service?
87. What types of requests can be submitted to a service desk?
88. Why does a single point of contact (SPOC) improve customer satisfaction?
89. What is Software Asset Management (SAM)?
90. What is the goal of Software Asset Management (SAM)?
91. What is the difference between an incident and a problem? Can you give me an example of each?
92. Can an incident be a problem?
93. What is a problem work-around? Can you give me an example?
94. Is there a trade off between service reliability and cost? Can you give me an example?
95. How does Proactive Problem Management catch problems that might otherwise have been missed?
96. What are the steps to determining the root cause of a problem?
97. What is Access Management?
98. What is separation of concerns (SoC)? Why is it important for security?
99. What type of information is captured in a information security policy?
ITIL Continual Service Improvement100. How does Continual Service Improvement (CSI) relate to other ITIL processes such as Configuration Management?
101. What are the steps of the Continual Service Improvement (CSI) process?
102. What is a balanced scorecard?
103. What is Plan-Do-Check-Act?
104. What is a benchmark?
This article is part of the ongoing series: how to win your next job.
More interview questions can be found here.
Common interview questions that cover the full range of skills expected of a professional project manager.|
It's a common myth that you can answer any question by being vague. This technique is only likely to fail.|
You knocked yourself out to build up your qualifications and experience. It feels like you deserve to beat less qualified candidates for that ideal job. Sometimes it doesn't happen that way ...|
Managing your project management career.|